Cedar Grove Cemetery
Cedar Grove Cemetery is an historic cemetery located off of Franklin Street in the Borough of Chambersburg. At the time of its
incorporation in 1855, the cemetery grounds included 16 acres. In 1885, six additional acres of ground were purchased and added to the northwest section of the burial ground.
Records show that the first burial was on Nov. 3, 1854, when the body of Mrs. Jane Snider was interned in a grave near the central oval of
the cemetery. The cemetery association has since erected a granite marker over this first grave. The next burial was the re-internment of the body of Alfred M. Smith who was long connected with
the public press and perhaps the most brilliant literary genius ever born in Chambersburg.
Many people found refuge in Cedar Grove Cemetery during the Burning of Chambersburg on July 30, 1864. All records were destroyed
during the fire.
Hundreds of veterans of our nation's wars lie buried in various sections of the cemetery. Near the main gate are two close rows of
20 graves, which bear mute witness to the community's tribute to a number of unknown dead of the War Between the States. More than half of the graves are identified simply as "U.S. Soldier". The
soldiers are believed to bave been buried in the cemetery after they died at three hospitals set up here after Antietam.
Lots are no longer available in Cedar Grove Cemetery.
If you are seeking burial records or other information for a genealogical search, please contact the Franklin County Historical Society - Kittochtinny. We have provided the Historical Society with all of
our cemetery's genealogic information to ensure it is available to the public.